Previous Grant Recipients
Here at Compass HQ, we’re excited to continue our partnership with The Kenneth Cole Foundation through this new grant opportunity for Compass Fellows and Alumni. Our vision for the Kenneth Cole Grants is to support ventures that highlight the power of conscious consumption and have a clear plan-of-attack to make an impact. The Kenneth Cole Grant is made possible by the generous people at The Kenneth Cole Foundation. There will be four winners of the Kenneth Cole Grant.
Why conscious consumption?
Kenneth Cole Productions is living proof that buying shoes and clothing can mean more than equipping oneself with the latest fashion trends. What you stand in says a lot about what you stand for. With the advent of companies like Warby Parker, TOMS Shoes, LSTN, and beyond, engaging consumers to make a positive social impact is becoming an increasingly important pillar of social innovation. That is why Compass ventures embracing this idea are eligible for this grant.
There will be four $2500 Kenneth Cole Grants to be used during the summer of 2014 (and beyond) for members of the Fellowship community.
The entrepreneur (applicant) must be the founder or co-founder of the venture they’re applying with, and they must be a Compass Fellow for 2013-14 or a member of the Compass Alumni Community. They must provide:
- A compelling, professional pitch about the venture via video (maximum of 90 seconds) made via YouTube. This will ultimately be shown publicly to determine the final winners of the Kenneth Cole Grants.
- An explanation of the problem (social, environmental, or otherwise) the venture exists to solve and what the planned solution is.
- A well-articulated business model describing a budget for planned revenues and expenses for the next 12 months.
- A clear plan to use grants funding effectively, articulating next-actions and line items for expenses over the summer.
- A commitment to work on the venture (while in school, if applicable) over the subsequent summer and year.
- An explanation of how their venture highlights the power of conscious consumption.
- Announcement of the awards!
- Video (via YouTube or mpeg4) and written applications will be submitted. – Due March 8th 11:59pm eastern standard time
- Based on written-application criteria, finalists will be selected. Their videos will be made public and the online community will cast their vote! Online voting takes place March 24th-31st
- The winners will be selected and honored at Shift Series. April 5th.
- Post-award monitoring – The recipients of the funding will be required to produce biweekly updates about their venture progress. This will enable Compass to monitor progress and assist with any challenges that arise.